Re: Simple mouse question....

The debain-user list appears to have been dropped from your reply,  I've
added it again.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 10:22:30PM -0500, Ron Stordahl wrote:
> I guess its XF86Setup, it runs automatically during the install process.
>
> In any case I am not getting any success with the mouse.  Right after
> answering 9, which is Microsoft Intellimous, it immediately asks me another
> question I don't know about, specificaly it wants the full device name to
> which the mouse is connected, and suggests /dev/tty00, which would be fine
> if it were a serial port mouse.  But I don't know what to answer it for a
> mouse connected to the PS/2 connector.
>
> Any ideas?

/dev/psaux

Speaking as a Linux user of some time, and to whom the answer is well
known, this is one of those really annoying bits of the Linux install.
The answer is *trivial*, but it's virtually impossible to find if you
don't already know it.

I looked up a couple of references (Debian instalation manual,
O'Reilly's _Learning Debian GNU/Linux_, the HOWTOs), for something which
might point this out.  None do (the Debian install guide doesn't cover X
AFAICT, the ORA book glosses the point, and the HOWTOs suggest you've
come to the wrong place -- there's a Busmouse HOWTO, but no "PS/2 mouse
HOWTO".  Nonetheless, you'll find in section 3.3 of the Busmouse HOWTO,
you're told that the mouse device for PS/2 is, indeed, /dev/psaux.

You can find the Linux HOWTOs at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO.  The
Busmouse HOWTO is:

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Busmouse-HOWTO.html

Devices:

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Busmouse-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.3

Similarly, a Google search for "linux ps/2 mouse device" returns a link
title "which device for PS/2 mouse" as its fourth result.

Google and the Linux HOWTOs are your friends (and who said geeks don't
have friends <g>).