Re: cleaning lost+found on boot

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:02:55PM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> Is there a real good reason for cleaning the files out of /lost+found on
> bootup?
>
> In /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:
>
> # Wipe /tmp (and don't erase `lost+found', `quota.user' or `quota.group')!
> # Note that files _in_ lost+found _are_ deleted.
>

> This seems like a bad idea to me.  What if you lose power, the machine
> boots back up and fsck puts your lost file bits in /lost+found, and then
> bootmisc.sh wipes them out on you?  I don't understand why this makes
> sense.

As /tmp is wiped clean on each boot, your lost inodes really don't
matter now, do they?  Why restore data that you explicitly wanted
deleted?

If you don't want to wipe your /tmp directory on each boot, you might
remove the whole stanza, and use another mechanism to remove cruft from
/tmp.

The script *only* deletes lost+found inodes from /tmp, no other
lost+found directory is affected.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/