cleaning lost+found on boot

Is there a real good reason for cleaning the files out of /lost+found on
bootup?

In /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:

# Wipe /tmp (and don't erase `lost+found', `quota.user' or `quota.group')!
# Note that files _in_ lost+found _are_ deleted.

This seems like a bad idea to me.  What if you lose power, the machine
boots back up and fsck puts your lost file bits in /lost+found, and then
bootmisc.sh wipes them out on you?  I don't understand why this makes
sense.

This just happened to me in fact, but thankfully I had commented out
that whole section in bootmisc.sh so I didn't lose anything.  But as
policy, I don't see the point to this.

Please let me know what I am missing.  :-)