Re: apt-get and personal data

Quoting Oki DZ (okidz@pindad.com):

> Does it mean that if I want to download software -- like Sybase or Oracle,
> dev. version -- from the Internet in which I have to provide my personal
> information on their websites, basically the procedure is unlawful. Or
> there _is_ a difference between putting information on a website (via HTML
> forms) and in a local file (?). Eventually the data will be put in the
> websites, but according to the law, the second one is basically wrong.
> Or it just means that the Europeans are just weird (this would be
> surprising for me, indeed).

Any legal advice from me would be worthless, so it's pointless
prolonging this thread here. The developers may or may not have
discussed these issues elsewhere.

In Britain it is enough to know that the handling of personal data,
by computer or otherwise, is regulated, and registration is required.
Unless you're involved in doing it, that knowledge is just about
sufficient to avoid breaking the law.

Cheers,