Re: apt-get and personal data

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, David Wright wrote:
> What I'm telling you is that that is not all right. I'm sure you'll
> be able to turn up references to our Data Protection Act (the old and
> the new) on the web. You may be surprised by them.

Does it mean that if I want to download software -- like Sybase or Oracle,
dev. version -- from the Internet in which I have to provide my personal
information on their websites, basically the procedure is unlawful. Or
there _is_ a difference between putting information on a website (via HTML
forms) and in a local file (?). Eventually the data will be put in the
websites, but according to the law, the second one is basically wrong.
Or it just means that the Europeans are just weird (this would be
surprising for me, indeed).

Oki