Re: modules

Brad wrote:
> > 3. Never used "make-kpkg modules_image".  In fact the modules are
> > included in the kernel image and will be installed into the correct
> > directory.  (**)
>
> Modules like pcmcia, alsa, etc.

Didn't know that.

> > 4. I think, it should be "dpkg -i kernel_image-*
>
> Haven't done this in a while? ;)

While I was referring to "dpkg -i kernel-SOURCE-*" in the original post,
I got confused with the underscore.

> > (*) So the package management knows that kernel_image is the package
> > name.  Hyphems are not permitted in a package name.
>
> Hmmm... then there are a LOT of packages that have non-permitted names.
> Do a "dlocate -l -" or "dpkg -l \*-\*" sometime.
>
> Actually, i think underscores aren't allowed in package names, because
> the naming convention uses an underscore character to separate the
> package name from the version.

To sum it all up: You got me big time!  :)

I was writing from the top of my head, and it looks like my memory
played some dirty tricks on me.  I confused that with the rule, that
only alphanumerics and "+" and "." are allowed in the revision number.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up my mind.

MfG Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld