Re: Mutt questions (Was: Looking for a good mail program)

Quoting Viktor Rosenfeld (rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de):

> My question are:
> - Does Mutt support hierarchical folders?  E.g. I want to have a folder
> called "Mailing Lists" with individual subfolders for each mailing list
> and a folder called "Friends" with individual subfolders for each
> person.

If, by folders, you mean directories, then yes. There's nothing
special about directories to mutt, except for its short-hand
constructions like = for the principal directories for saves.

> - Can Mutt automatically move incoming mail into different folders?

I prefer to use procmail to do this as emails arrive. If you mean as
you read each message, then yes it does, and it provides hooks for
providing the a default when you save them explicitly.

> - Can I share Mutt's mail files with another mail program, so I could
> use a GUI program when under X?  Would that be wise?

You might find, like me, that mutt runs perfectly well under X, with
the obvious advantage that it can launch more and better applications
for viewing attachments. But they are standard mailboxes: mbox, MMDF,
MH and Maildir.

Cheers,