Re: Potato Broke My X

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:20:46PM -0800, Jim Varney wrote:

> Updating my Potato system a few days ago with dselect broke my X windows. X
> starts up with the herringbone and shows a single shell window and prompt.

X is working.  However your window manager or desktop (what do you
usually use?) isn't firing up.

This is a failsafe X session.

How are you starting X?  Do you use an X Display Manager (gdm, kdm,
etc.)?  Or do you start X from a console prompt with "startx"?

Try running one of the following commands in the xterm window:

 - fvwm &          # ( or fvwm2 ) -- for the fvwm(2) window manager
 - startkde &      # for kde
 - gnome-session & # for gnome
 - wmaker &        # for WindowMaker
 - afterstep &     # for Afterstep

...etc.

This should start up a desktop.  If this fails to bring up your
preferred desktop, the executable may be missing or otherwise hosed.
Track it down with appropriate tools.

Your X initalization process is controlled by a number of files under
/etc/X11.  Good places to start are the Xsession, gdm, kdm, or xdm
subdirectories.

You may want to try firing up X from the console and watching the error
messages produced.  I routinely capture all output to file with:

    startx -- 1>.startx.log 2>&1 &

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/