Re: Transparent network bridge+filter?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 09:05:14AM +0100, Onno Ebbinge wrote:
> At 08:49 AM 1/19/00 -0600, Jeff Noxon wrote:
> >You have an interesting idea, but it won't work in my case.  I have to
> >put this between a pair of Cisco routers running EIGRP.  They won't see
> >each other if the router discovery packets (etc.) aren't forwarded by
> >a bridge.  I also can't guarantee that the address of the router on one
> >side won't change -- it is not under my control.
>
> As far as I know Linux doesn't understand EIGRP.
> I can't even find it in /etc/protocols...

Two questions:

1. Why not do the filtering in the routers with access lists?  Too much
CPU overhead?  Neither IPCHAINS nor router access lists really do
anything that's state-based monitoring, so either's about the same.

2. If you just want to LOOK at the packets going by, a hub between the
routers works nicely.  (Great for running ethereal, etc... to watch for
various security issues.

3. If you have Cisco switches (and most 3Com's) you can set a port to
get all traffic from the other ports with the VLAN stuff... great way to
set up a "looking glass" where you can stick a linux laptop in and see
what's going on in promiscuous mode.

As a side-note, the network stack on the typical Linux box doing
promiscuous mode and heavy logging typically dies around 80MB/s of
traffic (Kernel OOPS or worse...) and I've found that the BSD variants
don't do this.  (At least on my laptop/pcmcia stack/hardware combo)
Don't know why, don't really care... have tried to track it down to a
particular piece of code with traces and can't find it (I'm not much of
a C programmer at all...)  I just use the BSD's now for this type of
work.  :)

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>