Re: Primary and Secondary DNS one 1 server...

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:03:16AM +0100, Onno Ebbinge wrote:
> Because of an upgrade of our computer network I must
> run the primary and secondary DNS one 1 server with
> two NIC's for a while...
>
> Has anyone experiance with this?
>
> My guess would be to run named twice and
> point to two config dirs and edit the
> named.conf seperatly to run each named on
> the right interface...
>
> But thats just a guess!
>
> Regards,
>
> Onno

I've had to do this in a pinch, but you don't need two NIC's.  Just two
IP addresses assigned to the same NIC.

ifconfig eth0 blah blah
ifconfig eth0:0 blah blah

Run ONE copy of BIND on this setup... works fine.  Instant
primary/secondary nameservers!  :)

Not recommended for long-term service about domains you care about (or
worse, customer domains) though!

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>