Re: problems after upgrading

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:16:38AM -0800, Clyde Wilson wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have been having some problems here and would like to hear of your
> > > thoughts. The latest pppd gives me the following message after a first
> > > pon <provider>:
> > >
> > > Can't open pty slave /dev/pts/0: File or directory not found
> >
> > There's a bug in /etc/init.d/devpts.sh that leads to this problem, it
> > should be updated soon. Change the '{' to a '}' at the bottom of
> > make_devpts(). Then run the script.
>
> I have the same problem but I don't have /etc/init.d/devpts.sh.  Any
> ideas?

Okay, you upgraded to potato, yes? And you have a kernel with UNIX 98
ptys? dpkg reports:

[felix@~] dpkg -S devpts.sh
libc6: /etc/init.d/devpts.sh

So, I can't address why you don't have it.  First, check that you have
/dev/pts/, /dev/ptmx/, /dev/pty* . If yes, try doing something like:

$ mount -t devpts -o gid=5,mode=620 /dev/pts none

If that doesn't work, but you have a kernel with UNIX98 ptys, try

$ cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV -n update | less

this will tell you what devices MAKEDEV would create/recreate based on
what it finds in /proc.  You may need to run this to update your
devices (probably a good idea anyway).

Hope this gets you a little farther along.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |