Re: problems after upgrading

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 08:28:54PM -0200, Carlos H. S. Laviola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been having some problems here and would like to hear of your
> thoughts. The latest pppd gives me the following message after a first
> pon <provider>:
>
> Can't open pty slave /dev/pts/0: File or directory not found

There's a bug in /etc/init.d/devpts.sh that leads to this problem, it
should be updated soon. Change the '{' to a '}' at the bottom of
make_devpts(). Then run the script.

> Well, in fact that happens only after the first pon, then goes away.
> But the kernel keeps sending these ones after every ppp call:
>
> Feb  1 20:04:24 cdemo modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-108

Add to /etc/modutils/aliases:

alias char-major-108 ppp

Then run 'update-modules'.

> And I've also got several mouse problems. I've adopted the solution of
> running gpm as -R and then selecting the mouse as /dev/gpmdata when
> configuring x, because if I haven't done that, I couldn't switch
> between x and the console (I could, but then I would come back and x
> would freeze.  *always*.) But that is really annoying, because the
> mouse now bugs x just like it bugs the console (random pasting, and
> all that gpm trouble :(), and the following startup errors:
>
>  -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> "
>  -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server"
>  keymap/xfree86 /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm' Warning: /dev/gpmdata unable to
>  get status of mouse fd (Invalid argument)
>
> (after exiting x11:) waiting for X server to shut down
>
> cdemo:~$ X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown).
>
> So it quits like if it was killed, when all I've done was select
> "Exit" (so x should quit normally?). I'm also obligated to kill gpm
> every time I run another application using the mouse without going
> thru gpm, like quake/quakeworld, and then rerun it when I quit the
> game. If you are able to give me some help with any of these problems,
> reply to my normal mail address (I am not currently subscribed to
> debian-user, because of its very high traffic). I'd appreciate any
> help.

Are you sure you have the correct mouse device? Most newer PCs use a
PS/2 mouse, so often you want /dev/psaux.  You might also consider doing
without gpm.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |