Re: One last time: smail problem

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:39:27AM -0500, David Kanter wrote:

[Please keep your lines udner 80 characters]
> I'll post this problem one last time: I must type runq at the console after running fetchmail in order for my e-mail reader to see my new mail. This never happened before, that is until I installed Netscape 4.61 the other day; before, I would run fetchmail and smail ran the queue automatically.

> Some info: When installing Netscape, the configuration script said that smail may have to be restarted, and so it was. Also, when reconfiguring smail last night (smailconfig), a message that "There is no crontab" came up. My smail daemon is run via a inet.d.

This Shouldn't Happen and is probably a bug somewhere.  It is possible
that you've edited your smail configuration in the past to turn off
instantaneous delivery attempts and the restart picked this up.  Either
that or you somehow lost your crontab and the delivery attempts were
just happening regularly rather than instantaneously.

You could create a new crontab which runs runq every 15 minutes or so -
this is probably what the standard one does.

> Should I bag smail and use another MTA?

Probably.  Exim is now the Debian standard and is designed to resemble
smail.  I imagine it would be much easier to get help with exim.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/