ftp not working

I am running debian slink, and once upon a time I believe that I was
able to transfer files via ftp but, alas, no longer.  Unfortunately, I
don't recall what changed (it was a while ago, and I didn't deal with
it right away), so now I'm trying to debug the situation from where I
am now.

I dial in to a shell account on a SunOS computer and connect to the
net via dip + cslip. I'm able to use telnet and I can access files
using http, but I can't use ftp.  (The existence of alternative ways
of moving files around is why I never got around to dealing with this
before.)

When I start ftp, I'm able to open a connection to the remote site
just fine and I appear to be able to cd, but when I try to ls or get
or put any file, it just hangs and nothing is transferred.  I am able
to login (both to a site where I have an account and to anonymous
sites like metalab or ftp.debian.org), and I get the login messages,
but I can't transfer files or get a directory listing.  I put an
example at the bottom of this message, but I fear it's not
particularly informative.

I'm not sure where to start trying to debug this problem.  "RTFM" is a
welcome response provided you tell me where in what FM to R.  Or else
if someone could tell me what to look at to try to find out the source
of the problem, I'd be very appreciative.  Undoubtedly more
information is needed to find the source of the problem, but I'm not
sure what information to provide.  If it matters, I'm using 2.0.36
kernel that I compiled on this Pentium Pro box; the problem also
existed when I was using the stock slink 2.0.36 kernel.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

--Miguel

Sample ftp session:

$ ftp -v
ftp> open thecity.sfsu.edu
Connected to thecity.sfsu.edu.
220 thecity.sfsu.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) Thu Aug 13 12:11:37 PDT 1998) ready.
Name (thecity.sfsu.edu:maw): mwooding
331 Password required for mwooding.
Password:
230 User mwooding logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> get test
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for test (288 bytes).

 [ I hit ^C here. ]

receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
226 Transfer complete.
225 ABOR command successful.
ftp>  put local.test
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for local.test.

[ ^C again ]

send aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>  ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

[ and yet again ]

receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
226 Transfer complete.