Re: StarOffice on potato dist - am I screwed?

Please keep your line lengths < 76. Notice the off line breaking in your
quoted message below; this is because you used lines too long for the
mailers commonly used on this list. Although the press of a button could
fix it, i leave it to show you how it looks.

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Eric G. Stern wrote:

> I'm trying to install the downloaded version of StarOffice on a system
> running
> a recent version of potato.  It hangs just when I'm telling it to begin
> the
> install.  I understand there are lots of issues with the version of the
> C library
> in use.  The release notes say that it is tested with glibc-2.0.7 which
> corresponds
> to the slink libc6 package.  My current version of libc6 is
> 2.1.2-0pre12.

StarOffice makes heavy use of system(3) calls. glibc 2.1.2-pre12 has
issues with system(3) calls in threaded applicateions (refer to bug
#43549 <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/43/43549.html>).

> I've downloaded and unpacked the slink libc6 package,
> but I haven't been able to get it to run with any LD_PRELOAD or
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> tricks.  I've tried naming the libraries explicitly in an LD_PRELOAD
> environment
> variable, or the directory where I've stored them in LD_LIBRARY_PATH but
> I keep getting errors like:
>
> ./setup: ../libc.so.6: no version information available (required by
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6)
>
> or
>
> ./setup: error in loading shared libraries: /lib/libpthread.so.0: symbol
> _h_errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
> reference

The catch is that bash (the default sh) and most other system utilities in
potato now take advantage of glibc 2.1.1 features, not available in 2.0.7.
This is the catch: SO won't run with 2.1.2 libs, but bash won't run with
the 2.0.7 ones SO prefers. You could try 2.1.1 libs if you can find them
somewhere, they have worked in the past with SO 5.1.

> Is there any hope of getting this thing to install let alone run?

Check the archives for ways to get SO 5.01 working with potato. The same
techniques may work here.

- --
  finger for PGP public key.