hard disks more than 8gb

I bought a new HD (and a new MB and cpu for that matter.  BIG upgrade.
Re-installing EVERYTHING!)

I am running debian 2.1.  Fdisk reported my 17.2 maxtor (which the bios
sizes as about 16.8gb, so maxtor lies a little).  But linux fdisk only
sees half of this.  MS fdisk sees ALL of the disk.  I thought I would
have a problem here and have to resort to partition magic but I tried
using the install from stormix linux (which is based on debian).  It's
graphical partition s/w sees all the disk.  Anyone else have problems
with drives larger than 8.4GB?

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze