Re: IglooFTP goes commercial. Violation of GPL?

On 27 Jul, Carl Mummert wrote:

  |  AFAIK, the person who owns the copyright on the work is free
  |  to change that copyright as the code goes on.
  |
  |  Only the owner can sue to enfore the license, so the owner is free to
  |  violate their own copyright or to change it at any time, since
  |  they won't sue themselves.
  |
  |  The KDE people had this problem for a while, too.  Their license
  |  required Qt to be gpl'ed, but qt wasn't, so no-one else could
  |  follow the license terms.  But the owners were free to violate
  |  them because no one could force them to follow their own license.
  |

  |  Carl

That's what I was thinking.  However, is it copyright infringement to
take up the last GPL'ed version of the software, modify it and release
it under GPL? Of course, the original copyrights would remain intact
and be distributed with it.
--

Eric G. Miller