Re: IglooFTP goes commercial. Violation of GPL?

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 egm2@jps.net wrote:

> Okay GPL experts.  The once free alpha versions of IglooFTP, copyright
> by Jean-Marc Jacquet and released under GPL is now in beta and being
> released *only* as a commercial product for $$.  Now, does this violate
> the GPL under the derived works clause?  And is it enforceable since
> the person in question is a French citizen.
>
> Check out the igloo website if you don't believe me:
>
> http://www.littleigloo.org

It looks like the gpl source of iglooFTP-0.6.1 is still free for download
from the site.  The original author can ALWAYS release a future version
that is not gpl BUT the previously released gpl versions are still useable
for modification/development/etc by the community.

You must understand that just because you license a piece of software
under GPL, it does not mean that the code and all future code becomes
property of FSF or GNU. It just means that people that have the GPL source
may modify and redistribute it.

It looks like iglooFTP-0.9.x is no longer GPL licensed. It is allowed.
They can NOT remove the GPL license from the old 0.6.1 code.