xinetd access control

This isn't Debian-specific, but I tried another list I'm on and didn't hear
anything back....

Anyone else running xinetd (the inetd replacement)?  I'm wondering if
there's a way to use wildcards in the access control ("no_access").

For example, with inetd you could deny:
.aol.com

and that line would match *.aol.com .

Can this be done with xinetd?  I wasn't able to find any way to do it in the
doc, and I tried several guesses and none of them worked.

I've been running xinetd for months under the mistaken assumption that it
also read hosts.allow and hosts.deny (just like inetd) but noticed the other
day that it does not.  Stupid me.  Anyway I do prefer xinetd, but this
appears to be a serious limitation.

Thanks to anyone who can help.