Re: Netscape and Slashdot!

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 08:11:21PM +1200, Tim Nicholas wrote:

> The problem seems to be when netscape (4.6) trys to render the html. it just doesn't. It will download all of the files but then leaves the page blank.
> this is the only page that i have found which does this.

It should render it.  The main problem appears to be that Slashdot is a
huge table, and if Netscape doesn't manage to download the *entire*
front page, nothing except the top gets displayed.  Most other pages
aren't quite so big and complex.  Normally when this happens, I find
that reloading fixes it.

> Another friend of mine had the same problem untill he setup a proxiserver

It may be that the proxy is improving the downloads.  It might pay to
investigate the quality of your network connection, or to try viewing
at different times of the day.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/