man-db mentions a number of bad Symlinks

Hello all.  This is my third week to debian and 6th month to Linux, but I'm
having a little problem.  When I run man <some file> I periodically see
warnings smiliar to these.

>man: can't open /usr/man/man8/upgrade-windowmaker-defaults.8: No such file
or di rectory
> man: warning: /usr/man/man8/upgrade-windowmaker-defaults.8.gz: bad symlink
or ROFF `.so' request

About 50 or so of these warnings flash by each with a different symlink.  I
know what you're going to say.  The file (above)
upgrade-windowmaker-defaults.8.gz is obviously a dangling symlink and should
be removed.  I did this just a fw days ago.  In fact I removed every bad
symlink in each man directory, yet now they are back.  It is as if man-db is
doing this to me.  can anyone explain what exactly man-db does.  Obviously
it compacts my man files.  DOes it keep the originals anywhere?  Anyone else
have this problem?