Re: Haunting still... (need PPP help)

On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 07:03:49AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Michael Merten wrote:
>  > One pppd setting that I've started using is usepeerdns, which queries the
> > remote end of your ppp link for the dns numbers to use.  It takes care of
> > modifying your resolv.conf file for you.
>
> Did you use pppconfig from potato to set it up?  If so, how did you like
> it?  If not, would you please test it for me?  I have no way to test
> usepeerdns here.

I did use pppconfig to set it up (first time since you rewrote it).
I played around with it for a while, trying to set up a couple of
auxilliary peers when my main isp was having some problems.  I did
have some problems with pppconfig intermittently failing to write
the new config files, but I've upgraded it (a couple of times?)
since then and it seems to work fine now.  I like having the extra
configuration options, and the ability to edit current profiles by
picking them from a menu.  I, personally, haven't run across a
situation that couldn't be easily handled with pppconfig (except
for the one particular situation I had trying to connect to an NT
server with a non-standard chap, and I still don't have that one
working :/).

I noticed that usepeerdns replaced the contents of my resolv.conf
file with the new dns numbers from the ISP, as long as the
connection was up, then put my old data back when the connection
went down.  The problem was that I ran my own nameserver locally,
and that was listed first in resolv.conf.  Even with the ppp link
up, I'd prefer all DNS lookups to hit the local server first (have
the new dns numbers appended to the list, rather than replacing it).
You might want to take a look at the source for the pcmcia modules.
IIRC, they insert and remove dns numbers from resolv.conf when the
network card is plugged in.  They use markers to delineate what
they added (something like '## inserted by cardmgr ##') so, I
suppose, they can figure out what to remove later.

This point is moot, for me anyway, since I don't run bind locally
anymore.  Just thought I'd mention it, since ya asked. ;)

HTH,
Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten -- ironfoot@popaccount.com
          ---> NRA Life Member -- http://www.nra.org