Re: Module screwups after kernel build

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Ron Hale-Evans wrote:

> Good people--
>
> I built a 2.0.36 kernel today so I could have SCSI support, among other
> things. In fact, I did it a few times. Each time, I found that I had lost
> support for my NE2000 Ethernet card, which I had previously installed with
> modconf. When I ran modconf again, there was hardly anything there, just an
> option called dummy. (No comments, please.)

[[[SNIP]]]

> Any thoughts?

Sanity check: you did remember to select the module when you configured
the kernel? Note that, in section "Network device support" you need to
enable "Network device support", then "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)", then
"Other ISA cards", in order to get to "NE2000/NE1000 ISA support" which
makes the module ne.o (and 8390.o if it's not already included for
something else).

modconf only shows the available modules. With the Debian prepackaged
kernels, they include a lot of modules so that a greater number of people
can use the package. When you build your own, you only include what you
need and therefore the modconf list is much shorter.