Module screwups after kernel build

Good people--

I built a 2.0.36 kernel today so I could have SCSI support, among other
things. In fact, I did it a few times. Each time, I found that I had lost
support for my NE2000 Ethernet card, which I had previously installed with
modconf. When I ran modconf again, there was hardly anything there, just an
option called dummy. (No comments, please.)

I copied ne.o and 8390.o from /lib/modules/2.0.36.old/net (I had previously
build 2.0.36.old as a backup directory) to /lib/modules/2.0.36/net (the
current modules location). modconf worked, ifconfig worked, I was on the
Net again, but now I get these messages at bootup or when I do depmod -a,
even after update-modules:

/lib/modules/2.0.36/net/8390.o: unresolved symbol(s)
/lib/modules/2.0.36/net/ne.o: unresolved symbol(s)

I've been through the archives of this list and seen that many people have
had similar problems, but people usually tell them to do depmod -a or
something, which doesn't work for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks....

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org & http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/
     Center for Ludic Synergy & "Kennexions" Glass Bead Game