Re: Kernel with APM support.

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Jens K. Olsen wrote:

> I have Debian running on my SONY VAIO and it works like a
> dream. Only thing I am missing is the APM support. I downloaded
> the kernel source package, etc. and I am getting ready to
> compile the kernel with APM support.
>
> I would like to keep my system "as it" but with APM
> support. Since I have never compiled the kernel before, I have
> no idea what to select and what to leave out when runing make
> config. Is there a way I can use the default settings of the
> Debian package and just add APM support so I end up with the
> exact same kernel, but with APM support?

If this a standard Debian distribution you should see a file

   /boot/config-x.x.x

which describes the configuration of the kernel you are
running.  You can use this file during the configuration
phase of building a new kernel

   make menuconfig

Just look for the entry for loading an existing
configuration.  You can then modify only the APM settings
and leave the rest as is.  Then save the configuration and
compile the kernel.  I recommend using the kernel-package
package which creates a debian package file.

   make-kpkg --revision="custom.1.1" clean
   make-kpkg --revision="custom.1.1" kernel_image
   make-kpkg --revision="custom.1.1" modules_image

Make sure your /etc/lilo.conf is correct and then install the new
kernel

--
Jean Pierre