Re: Some email bounces = misconfigured exim?

George Bonser writes:
> That would be ok provided:

> 1. He never says HELO sympatico.com

Why?  His dynamic IP will resolve to the corresponding sympatico.ca
hostname just as mine resolves to a win.bright.net one.  I am
elk-iqx2-cs-32.win.bright.net [208.149.150.158] right now.  I say HELO
win.bright.net right several times a day and it works just fine.  As soon
as his ppp connection comes up he has a valid address in the sympatico.ca
domain.

> 2. All users on his box that can send outbound mail also have sympatico
> accounts.

Not necessary.  There is no reason for there to be any relationship at all
between the reverse-path and the address of the sender of the mail.  In
fact, only the domain name needs to be valid (and most isp's require that
it be in their domain), though without a completely valid reverse-path you
may not always get bounced mail back.

> 3. All users have exactly the same username on his box as the sympatico
> email address.]

The username in the reverse path doesn't have to be a valid sympatico email
address.  Sympatico will just verify the domain and ignore the rest.

If you wanted to, you could extract the FQDN of your current dynamic IP
connection from /var/log/ppp.log, stick "postmaster@" or "root@" on the
front, and edit your MTA config to use that as a reverse-path.

> Things such as root@sympatico.com can raise come eyebrows.

But genkin@sympatico.ca is his valid email address.  If all users on his
system use that as a reverse-path the worst that will happen is that he
will get their bounces in his mailbox at sympatico, exactly what he wants.
If he uses qwerty@sympatico.ca, or genkin@qwerty.sympatico.ca then the
worst that will happen is that some returned mail will go in the bit
bucket.

> It is best NOT to do it this way.

What do you suggest?  That we all get static ip's?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)