Re: Some email bounces = misconfigured exim?

On 16 Apr 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> George Bonser writes:
> > You probably can not simply call your system sympatico.com because the IP
> > address will not match the hostname. Have a look at dhs.org
>
> No, but he can configure his MTA to use an addrress in sympatico.ca on the
> "MAIL FROM:" SMTP command.  This is the domain the lookups are done on, not
> the one in the header.  With smail this is done by setting "visible_name"
> in /etc/smail/config.  I don't use exim, but I'm sure it can be done there
> as well.

That would be ok provided:

1. He never says HELO sympatico.com
2. All users on his box that can send outbound mail also have sympatico
accounts.
3. All users have exactly the same username on his box as the sympatico
email address.

Things such as root@sympatico.com can raise come eyebrows.

It is best NOT to do it this way.