Re: Help! Kernel woes.

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 01:43:29AM -0400, William R Pentney wrote:
> > Did you compile it in kernel or as modules. I also have a SB16, and
> > found that it was a bit unobvious how to configure it in
> > menuconfig... Did you get to the step of specifying the DMA, IRQ
> > etc.etc.? Which driver did you chose? You should have chosen "OSS sound
> > modules" AND "100% Sound Blastaer compatibles", and only then would
> > you have been revealed the possibility to enter I/O, IRQ etc.
> Did all of that, and it was set up with correct IRQ and all, but I still
> couldn't use /dev/audio. It is, as mentioned, a PnP. Should I use the
> mysterious "isapnptools" package?
>
> Thanks, Bill

Yep, that's how I've had to use it. Get the isapnptools package and
run "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf". Then go into isapnp.conf and uncomment
the lines specifying the configuration settings that you want. It is
a little confusing, so I've included the uncommented portion of my file
below. After that run isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf. It should give you some
sort of affirmative message.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 0

(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))
(IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330))
(IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))

 (NAME "CTL00f0/-1[0]{Audio               }")

(ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 1

(IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0201))

 (NAME "CTL00f0/-1[1]{Game                }")

(ACT Y)
))

(WAITFORKEY)