Qs from a newbie; broken hamm

Thanks for the replies; when giving detailed info to Oliver Elphick, (who I
thank very much for his help), I realized that my FTP-method dselect was
looking to the stable distribution instead of the hamm distribution; so of
course everything "broke". Being a newbie, I just took all the defaults
that dselect offered me. Once I realized the error, I changed the path and
the installation went fairly smooth. Had a couple of glitches, one of which
told me to file a bug report (which I'll try to figure out how to do here
in a few minutes). But over all, my system seems to work. The less command
works; the man command works; I can even telnet into the box from another
computer! Whoo-hoo!

BTW, I didn't go the CD route because I'm doing this on an old-486 that
doesn't have a cd drive. Which is probably a good thing, because I have a
slackware CD, and if I had had a cd drive, I would have gone with slackware
instead of debian. Now, a couple of weeks after the decision to go with
debian, I think I've made the better choice.

Also BTW, the documentation I've found on the web is decent, but it's
really not that great for newbies who know nothing about unix/linux/debian.
It's taken me several weeks to get to the knowledge level I'm at, which is
a very low knowledge level. It was pretty discouraging, and until more
hand-holding takes place in the documentation, there will be fewer
newcomers to the wonderful world of linux than would otherwise be. My two
cents....

Again, thanks!

>> Second: I recently did a clean install of Debian 2.0.34 (not an upgrade),
>> mistakenly believing this to be the current stable release. I've since
>> become convinced that Deb2.x ("hamm") is still the unstable version.
>> Nevertheless, I'd like to stick with it, since the comments I've read on
>> the web seem to indicate that it's got some nice features.
>>
>It does, and almost all of the release-critical bugs have gone.  Suffice
>say it's going to have far less bugs in critical stuff than a Microsoft
>release.
>
>> I've reinstalled several times, and everytime I run dselect something
>> breaks and I wind up getting frustrated and wiping the drive and starting
>> over. Recently I found some clues to my problem; apparently Deb2 uses a
>> library version 6, whereas Deb < 2 uses a library version 5, and the two
>> don't get along.
>>
>> I've found some instructions (which are really above my head) for upgrading
>> from <2 to 2, but I'm not doing an upgrade; I'm doing a clean (new)
>> install. Do I still need to follow these instructions for upgrading
>> (running autoup.sh, etc), or does my clean install already have all the
>> upgrade stuff in place?
>>
>Your clean install will already have all the "upgrade stuff" in place.
>
>> If my box has all the upgrade stuff in place, did the base install not
>> install the man program? (man doesn't work on my box.)
>
><snip>
>
>> Third: Why doesn't the less command work? It reports "bash: less: command
>> not found".
>

>The base install does NOT include the man program.  It is a package
>(though
>it's of "important" priority, so virtually all machines have it
>installed).
>Similarly, less is also a package.Therefore, until you successfully
>perform
>a package installation man and less are not going to work.
>
>I haven't tried using dselect with FTP, so I can't say why you are
>having
>such trouble with it.  You are running dselect as user 'root', I
>presume?
>
>Other than that, I suggest you post some more details of the problems
>you have been having with dselect to the debian-user mailing list.
>
>Finally, it may be easier for a newbie like yourself to get a CD and do
>the install from it.  Check the Debian website for information on CD
>vendors
>- don't bother with 1.3, go straight to the 2.0 beta.

Kent West			| Technology Support/Customer Service		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|