Re: I now HAVE PINE Debian package.. how do I install it?

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Kenneth F. Ryder III wrote:

> What a interesting thread my PINE question created... OK I have found a
> Debian package for pine, pine3.96L-2
>
> the file is
>
> pine_3_9.deb
>
> its located on the root of /dev/hda7 , a MSDOS partition on my drive, which
> is not mounted by default, so if I use it in Linux I need to mount it.
>
> I want to install this version of PINE, I would prefer using dselect to
> make sure I have all the needed support files etc., so HOW DO I DO IT?
>

>  BTW: I found this package by going to the Debian site, and searching the
> stable packages....
>

> OK, can some one tell me how to install the thing?  I have not had much
> success..
>
> 	Thanks for your time / help

Once you have mounted the DOS partition so that you can access the .deb
file with Linux, just issue

dpkg -i pine_3_9.deb

This will try to install the .deb file. If you don't have a package that
pine depends on, dpkg will complain, tell you what package is needed and
fail to install pine. You can then use any method to install the needed
package.

If you want to find ou on which packages pine depends, use this command:

dpkg --info pine_3_9.deb

Remco