X11 setup

I am a Linux novice attempting to set up X11R6 on my 486 system.  I had
proceded to the mouse set up at one point using the graphical set up
program but (due to a little stupidity) my computer locked up and I had to
shut it off with out properly exiting Linux.  Since it was the first
install I decided just to refomat the drive (125Mb just for testing Linux
and X) and reinstall.  Now all times since this (even after reformatting) I
get the following errors in Dselect while trying to install X.

Xlib5 setup in deselect

"ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (no such file or
directory), skipping
 ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (no such file or
directory), skipping"

xserver-vga (3.3-3) in deselect

"current default X server /bin/false found"

(how is this possible after I reformat the hard disk?)

"XFree86 file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc is missing"

Also when it asks to create a new config file for X (select y or n) and I
ask it to create a new one, it gives the errors shown above in "xlib6
setup" until I select n. All the other packages install ok, why does X seem
to be missing files and find some "/bin/false/ found" which shouldn't be
there?  Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark Panzer