Re: starting X at boot

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Alain Toussaint wrote:

> > Actually, I've had this happen before to me too. I don't remember what the
> > exact circumstances were, so I didn't submit a bug report. Can you
> > describe the exact procedure that led to this situation?
>
> i don't know,it's just that i looked in the boot sequence (to be exact,in
> the /etc/init.d/ section),and found 2 files (xdm and xdm.dpkg-dist),i did
> a cat on these files (hoping they where text like files) and found that
> there where nothing in xdm and there where text in the second one,in the
> upper part of the xdm.dpkg-dist file,i found this inscription (
> #/etc/init.d/xdm: start or stop XDM.),so far,except curiosity,there where
> no way i could know that the source of my problem was these files.

I'm not sure if I'm answering the question, but here goes anyway.

When you installed xbase, you are likely to have got that little message
along the lines of

File /etc/init.d/xdm found already on system,
N O keeps your version,
Y I replaces it with package maintainer's version
Z to investigate.

I can't recall what writes the first version, but it's empty and needs to be
replaced at this point. (I don't use Z, but just Alt-F2 to have a look.)

It actually doesn't matter what you respond with in the sense that the same
files exist on the system, just their names change. You either end up with

Y xdm.dpkg-old (the empty original) and xdm (correctly installed)
N xdm.dpkg-dist (the one you should have installed) and xdm (the empty
original) if I remember the names correctly.

The same juggling occurs with /etc/X11/Xserver and you can end up with
any of /bin/false or XF86_None or XF86_Mach64 (or whatever).

Cheers,