src-packages and package manager

(Not wishing to contribute further to that pine thread...)

So, since we've got to have some packages distributed only as sources, how
about a little bit of extension to Debian's package management to handle
it nicely?  One of the major reasons I use Debian is because I can make
sure I'm up to date with my software (and hence secure, etc) by upgrading
periodically with dselect.  If major components of my system are only
available in source form, this defeats this ease of use a little.  So how
about something (in Deity, I guess) which would know about source
packages, tell you when they're updated, and also know how to build binary
packages from them, and install accordingly.

Not essential, and it's a bit of a blue-sky feature, but I think it'd help
retain some of the core value of Debian.  Plus, we wouldn't have drawn out
conversations about such-and-such.deb going source only because it would
be no problem -- no more difficult to install than any binary .deb.

-thomas

(who's again appealing for pragmatism, not a long thread.)