Modem Problems

When connecting to the internet via pppd, my connection is
VERY slow, i average 400bytes/sec, ping time to my isp is
~.500ms.  I am using an ACER 28.8 and the modem worked
"speedily" in windows, but ever since the crossover to linux
i have been plagued by this annoying problem, if anyone
has had similar problems with their modem, or knows what
could be causing this, speak up...

i have tried other modems, 56ks and the like that work
perfectly fine on other computers but are slowed to a halt
(nearly) when installed on mine.  I'd like to reitterate
that the modem did work fine in windows (nor be it a
winmodem), and so it is not a hardware problem to my
knowledge... any help would be appreciated...

brent