Re: need help with lilo

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Marco Frattola wrote:

> I decided to try formatting and reinstalling again. Installation (via CDrom)
> was fast and painless, but it doesn't boot anyway. Now the message is not LIL-
> but 1AF: it doesn't seem to accept 1, but seems to like A or F better.
> What should I do? Pointers/suggestions are welcome. TIA

When you made the partitions did you make the linux partition bootable?

If linux is the only operating system on that drive you can try this:

Insert the rescue diskette into the floppy drive.  At the boot prompt type

rescue root=<normal-root-device>

After the system starts up, enter a root password and create your user
accounts if it asks for them then switch to another VC and log in as root,

edit /etc/lilo.conf and look at the first line. If it has something like
boot=/dev/sda1 try changing that to /dev/sda and rerun lilo and then shut
down and reboot.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.