need help with lilo

Hi all,
I tried today my first install of debian 1.3, and I'm really impressed
(positively impressed, I mean). Many thanks to all developers and testers.
GOOOOOOOOOOD Job!

I only have a 'small' problem with lilo I'm not able to iron out. Some
background:
machine: IBM 325 server (i.e. adaptec 2940UW, 4GB SCSI disk, SCSI cdrom ..)
         64 MB of RAM
Before 1.3 this machine run 1.2. Lilo was installed and could boot the machine.
The only annoying problem was that it complained about big disk (fdisk also
complained, saying that some partition were overlapping, but that seemed to be
caused by the 1024 cilinder barrier - this disk has some 4k cilinders)
Upgrading to 1.3 upgraded lilo (0.17 to 0.19). The first reboot after this
upgrade was unsuccessful (LIL- message) According to lilo docs, this means
that descriptor table is corrupt. Since I didn't move /boot/map, it should be
the other one: geometry mismatch.
I decided to try formatting and reinstalling again. Installation (via CDrom)
was fast and painless, but it doesn't boot anyway. Now the message is not LIL-
but 1AF: it doesn't seem to accept 1, but seems to like A or F better.
What should I do? Pointers/suggestions are welcome. TIA