Re: SCSI and Tape Drives

Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> writes:
| I have had one too many hardware failures which resulted in me
| "Loosing everything" lately, and as such would like to get a Tape drive
| I have been told that with linux "most IDE Tape drives and All SCSI
| tape dirves will work"
| I have had a secret desire (ok..not so secret) to start using SCSI on my
|
| home system for some time now....
| I found I can get a 4 gig tape drive (uncompressed...uses Travan TR4
| tapes)
| for about $200
| it is a Seagate T*Stor 8000 Internal SCSI (model sgt8000iS)
| Does anyone kno wmuch about this drive? how much troubl eam I looking
| at?
| I already know I will have to recompile my kernel (I ALWAYS use a custom
|
| built kernel and my current one had SCSI suport turned off completely)
| I will also need a SCSI controller card...
| I got (for free) a SCSI controller...
| somone bought an internal SCSI Zip drive here at work but already
| had a SCSI card so they gave me the new one from the Zip drive...
| is this controller worth bothering with or should I spend the $$ to get
| a better
| one?
| I am looking for any recommendations (I am tired of buying hardware and
| having it break and not work so easily....so this time im not going to
| "Impulse Buy" my computer hardware)

I can't speak specifically about a Travan drive, but, in general, can
say that the disadvantages of Travan drives is the media price. A
travan TR4 tape goes for about $24 minimum. In contrast a 4mm/90m DAT
tape costs about $4 and an 8mm/112m about the same. This may not be an
issue for a home PC where you can get by with a handful of tapes, but
it's something to consider. The disadvantage of 8mm and 4mm is of
course that the drive prices are much higher, the cheapest 4mm running
about $485.

The other thing to remember is to get a couple of cleaning tapes,
whatever drive you end up purchasing.

As to using SCSI tape drives, I can say that my "ancient" 4mm WangDAT
6130HS, attached to an Adaptec 1542B, has worked flawlessly for about
3 years (and two computers) under Linux, and I can say that the drive
has saved me a lot of heartache. It's probably the best hardware
purchase I ever made.

Good Luck!
Gary