Re: SCSI and Tape Drives

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> I got (for free) a SCSI controller...
> somone bought an internal SCSI Zip drive here at work but already
> had a SCSI card so they gave me the new one from the Zip drive...
> is this controller worth bothering with or should I spend the $$ to get
> a better one?

 It will probably work, but I would suspect that the throughput will not
be all that great. I would bet that you'd be sorry if you tried to put a
hard drive on that controller. You'd never get full throughput out of a
modern SCSI drive. For just a tape drive you might be okay, though.

 Some SCSI card that come with scanners are absolute junk, though (no IRQ
line) and shoud be avoided like the plague.

 It's also sometimes useful to put slower equipment on one SCSI bus and
faster equipment on another one. If money's an issue, maybe you can just
use the Zip card for a while and then add a better card later.

> I am looking for any recommendations (I am tired of buying hardware and
> having it break and not work so easily....so this time im not going to
> "Impulse Buy" my computer hardware)

 NCR-based cards are cheap (~$50 for an NcR53c810) and well-supported.
Buslogic and (I think) Advansys actively support Linux and make good
cards. Adaptec does not support Linux and the drivers have to be
reverse-engineered, but usually work. The SCSI-HOWTO has some good
information about this.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

                 Two rules for success in life:
           1. Don't tell people everything you know.