Re: freshmeat repository

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Aria Prima Novianto wrote:

> >From freshmeat page:
> ----------
> freshmeat RPM repository
> As you might already know, freshmeat tries to keep up with
> the latest software releases and builds RPM packages for
> them. All this work is done by Obituary, feel free to mail him
> questions or comments. A change invented with the move
> of freshmeat to the new location includes SRPMS to be
> available as well as the i386 binary packages.
>
> Note: We are still looking for volunteers to build debian packages. Feel
> free to contact me for details.
> ----------

One of the prime qualities of the Debian distribution is the close
adherence to the Debian Policy Guidelines of all of its packages. This
ensures that the overall system is well-integrated and of a high quality.

If you get Debian packages from a third-party, they'll be in debian format
as far as packaging is concerned, but you get no guarantees with respect
to integration in the Debian system.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily have to be a problem and external
packages can be of a high quality, but there will probably still be a
difference in most cases.

If somebody packages software and makes it conform to the Debian Policy,
chances are that that person will already be or become an official Debian
maintainer and then you'll find the packages in the official archive
anyway.

Cheers,

Joost