Re: Mail on computer with no users.

>Questions:
>1. How should I redirect user's mails:
>For example I want mail to
>user@linuxbox.domainname to be redirected to user@domainname
>because there are actually no user on linuxbox.domainname

Put:
   smartuser:
        driver=smartuser;
        new_user="$user@domainname"

in your /etc/smail/directors file. In fact, you're in luck. The current
"smailconfig" that comes with the smail package does this (and only this)
automatically if you choose option "1 - A machine connected to the internet"
(This used to set the machine up as a bona fide mail server, they seem to
have taken that out and replaced it with a setup that does nothing but
shuffle all incoming messages to some other machine.... who's idea was
THAT?!?!?!).

Anyway... it *sounds* like you're having a problem with users sending mail
from your xterms cluster and their return address indicating that actual
machine. If that's the problem you're trying to deal with, you're better off
nipping it in the bud. I know that there's a way to customize the hostname
that appears in the return address. It might be the "visible_name" parameter
in the /etc/smail/config file, but I doubt it. I think it's /etc/mailname.
However, if anyone uses pine or something, pine might have stored this value
in the user's .pinerc file... so changing /etc/mailname wouldn't change the
address that appears in their outgoing mail.

Experiment. Good luck.

>2. I would like to redirect root@linuxbox email specifically to my account
on
>another computer.

put something like....
  aliases:
        driver=aliasfile, owner=postmaster, sender_okay;
        file=/etc/aliases, proto=lsearch,
        modemask=002, owners=root:mail:daemon, owngroups=root:mail:daemon

in your directors file BEFORE the entries that say "user:" and "realuser:"
(if they're even there). Then, make an alias for root in your /etc/aliases
file.

Alternatively, you can put
   dotforward:
        driver=forwardfile, owner=postmaster, nobody, sender_okay;
        file=~/.forward,
        checkowner, modemask=022, owners=root,
        unsecure=0-99:~ftp:~uucp:/tmp:/var/tmp,

in the directors file before any "user:" or "realuser:" entry and then just
make a .forward file in root's home dir.

- Joe