Re: how to check whether everything is installed

Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied to this thread so far. I
managed to sort out some package conflicts with dselect, but they have
not resolved the basic problem. What's more, dselect has configured man,
to the effect that I cannot find manual entries which I could access
before ...

The basic and (perhaps deceptively) simple question is: I cannot use
certain basic commands such as "make config", where bash keeps returning
"command not found". I was thinking that this might be the case because
something was not installed properly, or because something which needs
to be installed is not installed at all. Would this be a likely
explanation (and if so, how can I find out what package is needed to
make the COMMAND work - I suppose this is not the same as asking what
package contains a certain FILE), or is there an alternative scenario
that might explain the present state of affairs? Are there simply
certain parameters specifically to run "make config" that I am
blissfully unaware of?

--
birgit kellner
department for indian philosophy