Re: HELP: Repair of tar.gz files??

Rick Younie wrote:
> If the file was corrupted by being transferred in ascii mode
> instead of binary, you can fix it.  There's a program in the
> window's world called NOCRLF that will do it.  Or if you have a
> language or a good hex editor, replace the carriage return/line
> feed pairs with a linefeed and that will fix.

No, generally you can't fix binary files downloaded in ASCII mode.  The CR
-> CR/LF transformation is irreversible for binary files.  That is, there
may have been some (valid) CR/LF's in the binary file at first, which will
then be converted into CR's by the reverse transformation.

If you're lucky it might work, though.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>