Re: HELP: Repair of tar.gz files??

In article <[🔎] 362AA4DC.C5ED9BB6@home.com> you wrote:
>  I dwnloaded   newsletr.tar.gz from the CTAN site. On attempting a tar
>  xvfz, I got:
>
>  icarus:~/writing/newsletter> tar xvfz  newsletr.tar.gz
>  tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive
>  tar: Skipping to next file header
>
>  Is there anything I can do to recover the file, or am I out of luck for
>  a Tex newsletter include??

I thought I sent this message but I don't see it.  Apologies if
it's out there twice.

If the file was corrupted by being transferred in ascii mode
instead of binary, you can fix it.  There's a program in the
window's world called NOCRLF that will do it.  Or if you have a
language or a good hex editor, replace the carriage return/line
feed pairs with a linefeed and that will fix.

>  Albert Hurd

Rick