Re: debian network workstation

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 08:12:21AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> I have an old 386-25 computer with 8m of memory, a 100mb hd, et4000
> based video card with 1m of display memory.  The mb has no cache, and
> only ISA slots.  I would like to use this machine as a networked
> station tied to my k6-233 acting as a server.  I have an acton ne2000
> clone I can put in the 386.
>
> Can I boot linux off the network?  Can I put most of the file system
> on the network (IE the workstation would mount /bin, /usr, /etc from
> the network and maybe even /host/xxxx.  What would be then minimun
> filesystem that would have to be on the local drive?

Network bootng is easy...
you could get away with no hard drive and just a boot disk!
(or as little as a few megav=bytes of disk space)

I would check out my web page
http://people.delphi.com/sjc/linux/poor.html

this is the "Poor Man's XTerminal" it is for setting up a diskless
netbooting XTerminal from a aPC.... it could be adapted for non-X use
(ie as a network terminal etc)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"