Mounting 2nd Partition

My debian system is Debian version 1.3.  Apparently, when I initially
installed the o/s I didn't activate/mount my partitions correctly.

When I type '/etc/more fstab' I get this result:
            dev/hda2    /     ext2      defaults  0   1
            dev/hda3    none  swap      sw        0   0
            proc        /proc proc      defaults  0   0

When I type '/etc/more mtab' I get this:
            /dev/hda2    /      ext2    rw   0   1
            proc         /proc  proc    rw   0   1

When I type '/proc/more mounts' I get this:
            /dev/root    /       ext2   rw   0   0
            proc         /proc   proc   rw   0   0

When I type 'mount -t ext2' I get this:
            /dev/hda2  on  / type ext2  (rw)

Whe I type 'mount -t swap' I get nothing at all!

The first issue, do I have a swap partition activated and mounted?  When I
boot I get the message "activating swap partition" but shouldn't it be in
'etc/mtab', 'proc/mounts', and 'mount -t swap'?

The second issue, is a separate partition (hda6) which I have allocated the
vast majority of my memory space to. This clearly doesn't exist at all.
Trying to remedy this, I booted from my rescue disk, activated and mounted
hda2 as root, then activated and mounted hda6 as usr2.  After exiting the
rescue disk and rebooting I did have a 'usr2' directory, but it was located
in hda2.

Also, in 'etc/init.d/boot' the command 'mount -avt nonfs, noproc' exists.
(Possibly this is helpful information)

Are there commands that I can use to permanently activate and mount
partitions without using the rescue disk?

When I do this, is it safe to mount hda6 as '/usr' or will this wipe out all
the existing data on /usr in hda2?  (The solution is to mount hda6 as usr2,
'cp usr usr2', then rename usr2 to usr somehow?)

Also, how do you exit the 'rescue' disk correctly?  'Cancel' always brings
the menu screen up, so I end up just turning off the computer.  Possibly
this is why hda6 didn't get mounted.

Thanks for any help anyone might have.  I have some more miscellaneous
questions, but on the advice of a previous e-mail I have separated them into
a second e-mail.
Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437