Linux Commands

When I read the man pages, or any zip file that I have for that matter, I
use the command:  'zmore xxxx.tar.gz'.  This obviously is not the right
command to view these files, in that the files have all sorts of control
characters in them.

Along the same lines, I downloaded a tar.gz file which was supposed to be in
"Latex" format.  I unzipped it with 'tar zxvf filename.tar.gz' which gave me
numerous .tex files.  Thinking I needed the Tetex package I downloaded and
installed this.  'tex filename.tex' however gets me the error message;
           'undefined control sequence' or something like that.

Clearly I'm missing something.  It can't be that hard to read a text file.

A second question is in reference to a previous problem of getting the 'pon'
command to work when logged in as user (not as root).  I finally did solve
this, thanks to help from this mailing list, by:
       adduser <username> dip
       chown :dip ppp.chatscript
       chown :dip ppp.options_out
       chmod g+r ppp.chatscript
       chmod g+r ppp.options_out
  In the process however, I mistakenly gave the command 'adduser <username>
dialin', which added <username> to the dialin group in '/etc/group'.  My
question is how do I reverse this?  I don't want to delete the user, but
merely remove it from the dialin group.  Possibly the 'groupmod' or
'usermod' commands? I couldn't figure out how to use these commands though.

Thanks for any help someone might have.
Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437