Can't get X to Run, Please help!

I recently installed DEBIAN Linux and downloaded some packages.
My problem is when I try to start X it wont start and I get this message
back.

Fatal server error:
No valid modes found.
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to xserver
xinit:  No such process (errno 3): server error.

I'm running the "VGA16" server and ran XF86Setup as "root".

The contents of /etc/X11/Xserver are
 /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_VGA16
 Console
 << EOF >>

The computer is an older COMPAQ 486 DX 50 here at work that I thought I
would test LINUX on.  I believe the video card is a Cirrus Logic with .5 meg
video ram (it is built into the motherboard), however I selected unsupported
VGA just to be safe.  I used 640x480 for monitor resolution "standard VGA"
in the XF86Setup.  XF86Setup seems to run fine but after saving to
XF86Config and exiting "startx" returns the above error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave