Quota on Mail systems

Hi.

I am trying to implement quotas on the mail system of my debian linux
server.  I have configured the quota system so that users have a quota on
/var/spool.

This quota works fine and enforces the limit correctly when a user
attempts to put any files in that filesystem via the shell - but when a
user recieves mail it is placed into their mail file - regardless of their
disk quota.  So affectively the mail system is quotaless.

Can anybody explain this behaviour and perhaps suggest how I may correct
this??

Thanks,

Chris