RE: Quota on Mail systems

IMHO quotas on /var/spool are a bad idea.  They are only effective
(as you have discovered) if the user owns the file there - many processes
(news, mail, etc.) put things in spool with the ownership other than
the user who the file is for.  If you do get say all the processes to put
the
file in spool with the owner as the user, and the user spools a postscript
print job, they can't get mail, news, whatever until the print job is
removed.
If the user is using gs to render the postscript, they may need additional
space (in /var/spool) before that happens.

I grant that what I describe has a lot of if this statements.  My experience
with computers has shown me that eventually you get discover about 5 times
the
what if statements in actual problems.

A solution would be to have quotas on the user's home directory, and have
the
user's mail spool to ~/mail or some such directory.  Of course if the user
fills up his home directory then he can't get any mail, but that is his/her
problem ;-)

Pat Ouellette
Email:         pouellet@eng.utoledo.edu
Amateur Radio (voice):  KB8PYM  on KB8YVY repeater (52.650 / 146.835 /
444.650)
Amateur Radio (packet): kb8pym@w8hhf.#tol.#nwoh.us.noam
Running down the hall: Hey you!

You can ping your node, you can ping you neighbor, but you can't ping your
neighbor?s node.