Betr.: Error while trying to boot Debian

Hi,

I had this problem too on a very old 486 dec pc. See what bios version you
use. Some older bioses have problems with hard drives with more than 524
(or so) MB. This problem is documented in the LILO Documentation (should be
available in /usr/doc/lilo). You should be able to start Linux with a boot
disk (not the rescue disk).

There are two possible solutions:
The first mentioned in the lilo docs is to ensure that lilo is in the first
part of your hard drive. This didn't work with my system. Maybe the bios
was more than old.
The second possibility is to upgrade the bios (if this is possible).
For my specific PC this was not possible, so I took the third solution: a
smaller hard disk ;-)

Philipp.